Custom photography is a plethora of things wrapped up into one phrase. One of our biggest issues, being custom self employed photographers… is HOW DO WE PRICE?!
Custom photography is a plethora of things wrapped up in one phrase, and a big issue we have as self employed individuals is… is HOW DO WE PRICE?!
Hence… THE PRICING MONSTER!
This is a SIMPLE & EASY spread sheet…. with input from dozens of other photographers on what should/shouldn’t be a part of this formulation.
However… take into thought everything else that goes into custom photography. The equipment cost of the said photographer (who is a self employed, not by a giant retail studio). The artistic vision of your photography (this IS art). The reputation of the photographer, experience, and education. The time put into each and every single edit from your session… there is so much more. You are NOT paying for your 60 minute session, you ARE paying for all of the hours before your session and all of the hours AFTER your session. Here is a better break down…
- email contact setting up, and after session: approx 15-20 minutes
- finding the location for your session: approx 10-30 minutes of scouting
- travel to & from your session: approx 20-30 minutes
- shooting time: 60 minutes
- editing your session, and selecting images from the dozens (many times hundreds) that were shot: 2-3 hours
- uploading your gallery, blogging it, social networking: approx 30-60 minutes
TIME SPENT: Approximately 6+hours on your session, ALONE…. just that ONE session
Now let’s add in legit business costs, for that session alone.
Because, again, photography is a job and we do run our business as just that. A LEGIT BUSINESS
- baby sitter/child care for their children: approx $20
- if they have to pay to park: approx $10
- gas to drive to/from location $4.00
NOW… let’s add in other yearly/annual costs to being a business owner;
- accountant, especially at year end… $400-$2,000+
- education, workshops: $500+
- studio management/invoicing program; $20-400
- branding & marketing their company: $50-100
- studio rent cost & utilities: $50-2000+
- website & url upkeep $100.00+
- computer/laptop $600.00+
- equipment cleaning $50.00+
- permit fee for locations (yes! we pay to shoot at locations many times) $100.00
- OH YEAH… LET’S NOT FORGET…. that fancy camera: $1,000.00-$3,000+
- lenses, for that fancy camera: $500-$2,000+
- extra equipment (memory cards, external hard drive, photoshop etc): $200.00+
- banking/PayPal/credit card fees; $120.00
- not to mention…. business taxes (yearly LLC or Sole P cost): $400.00+
- props (that cute quilt at the session): $100.00
Want to really make yourself sick? Here is a break down:
Photographer charges $75 for session… they are possibly making $.84 CENTS per hour
Fill in the blanks on this spread sheet, and you are able to formulate what you REALLY are making from your sessions. Into pocket, pay the bills, INCOME.
*Due to the nature of the product, no refunds are accepted.
**Please respect the time, effort & work put into this sheet… by NOT sharing it with others.
***This is a SIMPLE & EASY spread sheet…. with input from dozens of other photographers on what should/shouldn’t be a part of this formulation.
****Yes, you can probably make the formulation on your own… for this price, and the hours put into making it… it’s worth the helping hand! <3